Today, Nikon Inc. announced the U.S. availability of the Nikon D5200, a camera that provides the imaginative features and D-SLR versatility needed to fulfill any creative vision through stunning imagery and Full HD video. Whether new to D-SLR shooting, or for those simply ready to step-up to a higher level of photography, the 24.1-megapixel D5200 will inspire new ways to capture with an easy-to-use interface, in-camera Special Effects and creative modes, plus the ability to share wirelessly in an instant. The Nikon D5200 will be available in late January for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $899.95* with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens.
"The Nikon D5200 is intended for the customer who wants to capture and share their life, their experiences and their adventures in new and original ways", said Bo Kajiwara, Vice President of Marketing, Planning and Customer Experience, Nikon Inc. "The D5200 features Nikon's latest innovative technologies along with an easy-to-use feature set that enables users to unleash their creativity, and truly test the boundaries of a photographer's imagination."
Imaginative Features Inspire Creativity
The Nikon D5200 is designed to foster creative possibilities, allowing users to easily document their lives with a compact and lightweight D-SLR camera body. Loaded with features for making amazing images and HD video, the D5200 is a must-have camera for a well-planned excursion or spontaneous adventure. Photographers have the ability to tell stories with artistic flair, thanks to the assistance of features that include:
* Vari-Angle LCD - The high-resolution, 921,000-dot 3-inch LCD screen swivels and rotates at a variety of angles, and is viewable at 170 degrees. This makes it easy to capture images and HD video from creative angles such as above the crowd or down low from a toddler's perspective. Users can even swivel the LCD screen for creative and fun self-portraits.
* In-Camera Special Effects for video and still images -By selecting the Effects option on the Mode Dial, users can apply a wide range of creative filters and effects for both photos and HD video. Modes include Selective Color to visually highlight up to three selected colors within a monochrome scene; Color Sketch to create a vivid drawing from a scene; Miniature effect to make a scene appear as a miniature model and Night Vision to enable images and video in very low-light by increasing the camera's sensitivity. Users can also enable modes to emphasize silhouettes or create color effects with high-key and low-key images and video. These effects can be applied prior to shooting the photo or video, or can be applied post-capture for photos through the retouch menu.
* Creativity has never been easier - The D5200 features an enhanced graphical user interface (GUI) that makes it easy to visualize camera settings for optimal results. Additionally, users can enable other visual effects including High Dynamic Range (HDR) and six settings of Nikon's Picture Controls to creatively and automatically manipulate tone and color for striking images and HD video.
Creativity Without Boundaries
The D5200 takes advantage of Nikon's new 24.1-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor to deliver amazing image quality and beautiful HD video that bursts with vivid color, broad dynamic range and gorgeous tones, even in challenging light. Users are now able to realize the full potential and the performance benefits of D-SLR photography including rapid camera response, interchangeable lenses and amazing image quality. Whether shooting a family outing or action sports, the camera is packed with features that let users create amazing content:
* Wide ISO range (from 100-6400) - For shooting in even the most challenging lighting conditions, the D5200 covers a wide ISO range and is expandable to as high as ISO 25,600. Shooting at high ISO sensitivity enables users to shoot at faster shutter speeds and reduce the effects of image blur caused by camera shake even in low-light situations or when shooting a moving subject, delivering clean and sharp images with minimal noise.
* EXPEED 3 image processing - Nikon's most recent image processing engine, dubbed EXPEED 3, drives the rapid response and swift performance of the camera, while maximizing energy efficiency, reducing image noise and delivering true-to-life colors.
* Scene Recognition System - Information from the 2,016 pixel RGB sensor is used to instantly analyze and recognize the scene prior to capture, resulting in adjustments to exposure, AF and white balance for the best possible image quality. The result is brilliant landscapes, flattering portraits and fast-moving action captured with split-second precision.
* 39-point AF system with wide area coverage - The D5200 features Nikon's quick and accurate 39-point AF system to help users create tack-sharp images for a wide variety of subjects. The Multi-CAM 4800 DX AF sensor works in tandem with the Scene Recognition System to accurately acquire and track subjects throughout the frame. Users can lock-on to fast moving subjects throughout the frame using 3D tracking to create sharp images of fast action, or use one of the other modes including single point AF, Dynamic AF and Auto-Area AF. When in Live View or recording video, contrast detect AF quickly acquires, and can even track focus through the frame.