Past Articles by This Author:
BlackBerry to Launch BBM Messenger for iOS and Android this SummerApple vs. Samsung Update: Apple Adds Galaxy S4 to Massive LawsuitCondoleezza Rice, Walter Isaacson, Jim Collins to Headline ExactTarget Connections Sept. 17-19ChannelAdvisor and Google Host Webinar to Share Tips for Success with Enhanced CampaignsLeaf Unveils Second Generation of its Built-for-Business TabletBlackBerry Unveils Version 10.1 Now Available for Download for Enterprise UsersBlackBerry Announces Q5 a 'Youthful and Fun Smartphone' BlackBerry to Webcast Keynote and Alicia Keys Performance from OrlandoMcAfee and Intel Deliver New Model for Consumer Security - LiveSafeLeaf Unveils New POS Android Tablet
Broadcom Corporation today announced the industry's first 5G WiFi Connected IPTV Set-top Box (STB) platform. Supporting the latest IEEE 802.11.ac standard, Broadcom's 5G WiFi technology is now available paired with its IP STB system-on-a-chip (SoC) technology, enabling operators to wirelessly deliver high-quality HD content and services to more locations and with more reliability throughout the home. Learn how Broadcom innovation is enabling the Connected Life at home, at work, and on-the-go at Broadcom@CES.
"Broadcom's ability to develop an 802.11ac IPTV platform greatly expands the capability for carriers to bring new TV programming and services to more screens in the home," said Dan Marotta , Broadcom Executive Vice President and General Manager, Broadband Communications Group. "In a tiny box that can be wirelessly installed anywhere, Broadcom's technology leads the way for operators to give subscribers the ability to share content from mobile devices directly on the biggest screen in the home - the TV."
By combining the Broadcom BCM7241 IPTV STB SoC with the BCM43526 5G WiFi solution, Broadcom enables carriers to provide reliable whole-home, carrier-grade coverage for multi-room DVR, browsing, gaming, over-the-top (OTT) and other services.
- Dramatically improved range and coverage : 5G WiFi delivers high-capacity, advanced error-correction and interoperable beam-forming technology to significantly improve wireless coverage and eliminate dead spots in a subscriber's home, reducing the instances of costly support calls or truck rolls.
- Full WiFi Display Miracast support: Coupled with the dramatic power savings that 5G WiFi delivers for mobile devices, Miracast support allows content to seamlessly come alive on the big screen.
- Small footprint: Integrates both the STB and wireless chips in an ultra-small form factor design. Also includes optimized internal antenna design within a compact case that can be mounted horizontally or vertically.
- High performance : The BCM43526 2x2 antenna arrangement supports up to 2x the throughput of existing Wi-Fi solutions. The BCM7241 features 5000DMIPS total processing power, 1080p60 decode and OpenGL 2.0 support to provide a powerful solution for multi-room DVR and enables new services such as browsing, gaming and OTT.
- Easy install : Small form factor and wireless capability allow for simple setup and placement anywhere in the home enabling easy customer install.
More Articles by This Author...